Youth Substance Abuse Prevention Coalition
The Coalition recently implemented a “Bar Owners Survey” among 21 bars in the city of Cape Girardeau. Survey questions included questions on server training, legal liability, identification of fake id’s and more. Here are some of the results:
- 52% of the bars said they offer in-house training on liquor laws.
- 90% of the bars said they do not offer training incentives for their employees.
- 48% of the bars said they allow minors in their facilities.
- 29% said that their employees had done some kind of training regarding liquor laws.
- 81% said their employees would be fired if they were caught serving a minor.
- 14% of the bars do not measure their pours.
The Advocacy Committee of the Coalition is now discussing what should come next. Some suggestions thus far include: bar owner education, server training promotion, further conversations with bar owners, and continuance of compliance checks.
UPCOMING COMMUNITY EVENTS
Cape Park and Recreation Day – July 15, 11am-3pm at Osage Centre
Back To School Fair – August 4, 12:00-5:00pm at Salvation Army
SEMO District Fair – September 10-17 at Arena Park
RISE ABOVE CAMPAIGN – ATTENTION TEENS!
Have you seen the new RISE ABOVE commercials? Our Coalition wants to know what you do to rise above and remain drug free. What are you into? Sports? Drama? Art? Skateboarding?
Make a video and post it on Rise Above (our new youth Facebook page) and who knows? You might be the next local prevention star!
Go to our website www.mychildourfuture.org for more information or call Shelly Wood at (573) 587-1921.